Will Home Insurance Cover My Expensive Personal Items?

One of the most important factors to consider when you are buying a new home is the purchase of a new home insurance policy. While a home insurance policy will be able to provide you with coverage for your property if it is damaged, it can also provide you with coverage for your personal belongings. However, the coverage that you have for some expensive items including jewelry, art, and expensive electronics may not be covered by your base policy. There are several factors that should be considered when determining whether or not your expensive personal items are covered by your home insurance policy.  

Base Coverage Policy

The first factor to consider when determining if your personal items are covered by your insurance policy is what your base coverage policy is.  Your base home insurance policy will provide you with a fixed amount of coverage for all of your personal items. This amount of coverage is typically around $10,000 or less, which means some more expensive items may not be covered.

Rider to Policy

If your expensive personal items are not covered by the standard policy limit, the next factor to consider is whether or not you have a rider to your policy. A rider to your home insurance policy will provide you with coverage for a specific item. Having a rider will provide coverage for theft, loss, or damage to the item.  

If you have expensive personal items that you want to have insured, contacting Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance would be a good place to start. Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance can provide those in the Peoria, AZ area a full understanding of their home insurance needs to make sure their jewelry, art, and other expensive belongings are covered by either the full policy or a rider.  

Do You Need to Tell Your Insurance If a Teen With a Drivers Permit is Driving the Car?

There is a lot of confusion as to when you need to add a teenager to your auto insurance policy or let your auto insurance company know that your teenager is driving. Here at Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance serving the greater Peoria, AZ area, this is a question that we are often asked. Here is the answer that we provide to parents who have a teen who has just received their permit. 

Do You Need to Notify Your Auto Insurance Company?

In most cases, the auto insurance company does not require you to notify them that your teenager is driving until your teenage is a licensed driver. This means that, in most cases, you do not have to notify your auto insurance company when your teenager receives their permit and begins to drive. 

Should You Notify Your Auto Insurance Company?

While you are not required to notify the auto insurance company in most cases, it is still a good idea to reach out to your specific auto insurance company and let them know that you do have a teenager who received their permit. Some companies do require you to notify them of all drivers, including only those with permits. Reaching out to your insurance company allows you to add your teenager if it is required. 

Once your teenager is licensed to drive, your auto insurance needs may change. At Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance serving the greater Peoria, AZ area, we can help you determine how much coverage you need and help you find the best plan for both your needs and your teenager’s needs. Contact us today to get started.