Fire hazards in the home

A house fire can happen suddenly and can be devastating. Such a fire can not only seriously damage or destroy your home; it can take the lives of you and your loved ones.
Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance serving Peoria, AZ would like to point out some of these hazards and how to mitigate against them.

The majority of house fires start in the kitchen while preparing meals on a stove top. Be sure that you are in the kitchen at all times when you are preparing a meal. Try to keep flammable items such as paper towels away from the burners on your stove. Keep your cooktop as clean as possible from the residue left by grease splatters. If a fire does start, do not splash water on it. Use an extinguisher.

Space heaters cause a high percentage of house fires. Make sure that any flammable object is at least three feet away from space heaters. Avoid using candles that aren’t covered and, if you have a fireplace, keep flammable objects away from it, and do not leave the room if the fire is lit.

Check your electrical appliances for frayed or worn wires. Try to limit the number of appliances that are plugged into the same outlet.

Dryers can be a source of fires. Make sure that the lint screen is cleaned before using it.

Storage areas such as garages should be kept as uncluttered as possible. Flammable liquids should be in tightly sealed containers. The yard should be kept clear of debris. The grill should be away from the house and when in use, attended at all times.

You should have smoke detectors and an extinguisher in your home.

For any questions on home insurance, contact Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance serving Peoria, AZ.