Having standard home insurance coverage is a good thing because it covers many of the basic risks to a home; however, it usually does not cover everything that most homeowners need to protect.
It is a good idea to discuss the specifics of home insurance coverage with your agent at Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance serving Peoria, AZ and the surrounding area. Your agent can help you understand what things may need extra coverage.
Some of the items to consider include:
- Pests: Damage from vermin and insects may not be covered by a home insurance policy. If termites destroy a home, coverage for the damage is not something usually found in a standard policy. The size of the pest may affect the coverage. For example, if a bull stampedes through a living room, the damage may be covered; however, a rat chewing through electrical wiring may not be covered.
- Mold: The problem with mold is that it can grow in places that are not easily seen. A home insurance policy may not cover old problems such as a roof leak that allows water to enter the home, which causes mold contamination within the walls over time.
- Floods: Because of the new weather patterns from climate change, floods and flash floods are showing up in places that are not expected to have them. About 25% of flood damage now occurs outside of the traditional floodplains on maps maintained by the U.S. government that are desperately in need of an update.
- Earthquakes and Sinkholes: Earthquakes and sinkholes are unusual risks that need to have special coverage. If the ground shifts beneath a home, this can cause cracks in the foundation, floors, and walls, which need expensive repairs.
- Municipal Sewer Systems: In severe rainstorms, a municipal sewer system may get overloaded and cause sewage to back up and then to enter homes causing severe damage.
Get a home insurance review by talking with your agent at Schaller & Thomas Family Insurance in Peoria, AZ to add extra coverage to your home insurance as needed.